Vox: Gluten allergies aren’t increasing. So why are gluten-free diets skyrocketing?

Oh please, Vox. Read the referenced articles to see how they jig their main article copy to lead you by the nose to their own stereotyped conclusions. And be careful when using the word ‘diet’. It has two meanings, as you know. In one of their linked studies, if you turn the stats around, 14% of self-proclaimed gluten sensitive people are actually undiagnosed celiacs, wheat-allergic, or gluten-sensitive. I should think giving them non-medical options to handle their discomfort would be a good thing ... ? Sure, there are charlatans selling gluten-free as the Second Coming. So have paleo, grapefruit, veggie/fruit shake, mono and other diets. Even ‘low-calorie’ meals (based on erroneous-but-believed-accurate research) were available in restaurants. “Don’t eat eggs. Don’t drink milk.” Physicians recommended those, remember? What, you don’t care how bad trans-fats are, and that you were told to eat margarine? Kick a doctor lately? Didn’t think so.

This post is completely in my self-interest. More gluten free products, the more easy options I have. I remember when there weren’t any GF baked goods. No pizzas. Sticky, horrible rice pastas. No convenience foods whatsoever. I was stuck with veg and meat, veg and meat, veg and meat ... and one or two brands of amazingly tasteless protein/energy bars for Rolls Royce prices.

09/06/16 • 09:07 AM • HealthScience • (6) Comments

Comments:

I noticed recently that not only does Walmart have a whole gluten free section, the GF Walmart brand prices were about what you’d pay for similar conventional name brand goods at the supermarket.

I only noticed this because they had devoted so much shelf space to the GF options, I thought I was just looking at the section of the store with breakfast bars, I didn’t even realize they were GF until I took a closer look at the boxes.

(Disclaimers: I didn’t try any of them so I can’t speak for the quality. I try not to shop at Walmart but sometimes they’re the only thing open/available.)

Posted by crazybutable on 09/06/16 at 10:40 AM

Alas, GF is a vector for the big food corporations to sell sugar. GF is generally more nutritious (the ingredients are more basic), but to get that consumer-attraction, they load ‘em with sugar.

I love ginger snaps. I can’t eat storebought GF ones. My teeth would fall out on the first bite.

This is why folks who go GF don’t lose weight. My god, if I ate that stuff, I’d be the size of a house.

Posted by Garret P Vreeland on 09/06/16 at 10:44 AM

Ginger snaps are my favorite too!

I received an unwanted bread machine from Steve.  Wondering—have you ever gotten into making your own GF breads?

E

Posted by Evelyn Redtree on 09/06/16 at 12:22 PM

I have. I went through two bread machines ... but it’s such a complex process (adding in our high altitude here in Santa Fe), I buy a GF “Mountain White” loaf from the local store.

But homemade GF scones ... mmmm. I’ll share the recipe, if you’re interested.

Posted by Garret P Vreeland on 09/06/16 at 01:15 PM

Yes, oh I would love to have that recipe!  Please email it to me.  THANKS!  E

Posted by Evelyn Redtree on 09/06/16 at 01:38 PM

Give me a day or so (BUSY), and if I forget, don’t hesitate to poke me as a reminder. They’re fab.

Posted by Garret P Vreeland on 09/06/16 at 02:41 PM

<< Previous entry: Macworld/Razer Mechanical Keyboard Case review: Luxurious keys for iPad Pro.

Next entry: Salon: Bewildered in “Bloom County”. >>