She chose Kaine. Oh my friggin’ God.

The guy’s pro-fracking, pro-offshore drilling, pro-TPP, pro-bank deregulation. My morals, ethics ... I can’t. Just can’t. Where’s the whisky ... Jesus. We have to figure out how to live in the dark ...

07/22/16 • 05:21 PM • PersonalPolitics • (13) Comments

Comments:

I’m gonna close my eyes and plug my ears and think about which candidate would make better Supreme Court picks.

Posted by mgr on 07/22/16 at 06:14 PM

You can appoint justices thinking they’re one ideology, but they change while serving. Happens all the time. No guarantees with the Supremes.

Posted by Garret P Vreeland on 07/22/16 at 06:19 PM

That’s not to say we shouldn’t hedge our bets, though.

Posted by Garret P Vreeland on 07/22/16 at 06:20 PM

I’ve been firmly anti-fracking since the Oil and Gas folks tried to frack their way into Santa Fe (a patently ridiculous and near-criminal thing to do). I took part in the protests, and donated some of my creative work to the cause. I cannot vote for a pro-fracking ticket. I just can’t.

Out of the three major candidates, Johnson at least publicly wants to have limits. I’m sure he remembers what happened here, since he lives here.

I assume Hillary thinks she’s going to round up more disaffected Southern Republicans with this choice, by striking swiftly after the RNC. She’s going to lose the entire progressive wing of the Democrats - I don’t think there’s a thing she can do at the DNC to make this up to them. Johnson and Stein are going to get a chunk of support they wouldn’t have had before this choice.

She just turned this race into a Bush/Gore/Nader 2000 again, I fear.

Posted by Garret P Vreeland on 07/22/16 at 06:29 PM

I checked out on FB as I’m agitated and confused and didn’t want to say something that prospective employers couldn’t deal with. I do feel deeply betrayed. I think Michael Moore is right, that Trump’s gonna win.

Posted by Hal B. Rager on 07/22/16 at 06:55 PM

(I’ll get over it. Just give me time.)

Posted by Garret P Vreeland on 07/22/16 at 07:08 PM

I think I should accelerate our plans to move to NZ/Australia but realistically there’s nowhere on Earth you can go to avoid this “nuclear dumpster fire,” is there?

Posted by BillSaysThis on 07/23/16 at 06:35 AM

So I guess the calculus is use the VP choice reach out to mainstream Republicans more disgusted by Trump than Hillary and try to own the center space leaving Trump the extremes? I think those few will simply stay home. People are amazingly flexible in accomodating themselves to new circcumstances.

I’d have to look at the numbers to try to second guess, but the Dems campaign has been relatively tone deaf so far. Large gap between how Hillary is percieved vs how I think she thinks she is percieved.

But this is hardly the time to vet the party for candidate purity, BREXIT was won by a small minority who came out to vote over a majority who counted on other’s to go vote to prevent. Turnout is the key to preventing worse outcomes.

Posted by Emmett on 07/23/16 at 07:47 AM

There are a handful of states where an individual’s vote matters.  If you live there, choose the lesser evil. Otherwise, vote your conscience.

Posted by Tom on 07/23/16 at 08:24 AM

Part of the problem for us citizens to roll up the numbers is caucus states that don’t have popular numbers for the primaries.

But I am confident the campaigns have good estimates.

Posted by Emmett on 07/23/16 at 08:30 AM

We won’t run through my willingness to compromise on some of these issues, and I’ll just point out some of his surprising qualities:

No, neither he nor Hillary are by any stretch Progressives, but….

Posted by Emmett on 07/23/16 at 08:43 AM

Tom, I like your answer best. Avoids the Nader result.

Posted by Garret P Vreeland on 07/24/16 at 08:58 AM

So we become poll-watchers.

Posted by Garret P Vreeland on 07/24/16 at 08:58 AM

<< Previous entry: Slate: Is 2016 the worst year in history?

Next entry: Time: Why Brie Larson Will Make the Perfect Captain Marvel. >>