Guardian.UK: Children spend only half as much time playing outside as their parents did.

TRAVESTY. Take the electronics away, kick ‘em out on the weekends. You’ll end up with smarter, happier kids.

07/27/16 • 08:43 AM • ChildhoodPsychology • (5) Comments

Comments:

Methinks the adults play outside less, too. I wonder how much Pokemon Go is changing these numbers.

Posted by Eric in Santa Fe on 07/27/16 at 08:53 AM

Yes, but Pokemon Go is somewhat mindless, no?

I look around at our empty playgrounds, equipped to the max, and think “WHERE ARE ALL THE KIDS?”

I look at our amazing spaces across 285, particularly the #2 trail in the Eldo Wilderness, and wonder why there are no kids having adventures amongst the rock formations.

My imagination soars.

It seems kids today have to have their imaginations implanted.

And that makes me very, very, very sad.

Posted by Garret P Vreeland on 07/27/16 at 09:31 AM

I must plead ignorance on Pokemon Go. I’ve not used it, and only understand it a little.

Posted by Garret P Vreeland on 07/27/16 at 09:32 AM

Pokemon Go should just go, I do not understand the appeal at all.

As for kids, I disagree with brother-in-law on many things but I’m really happy about how active he keeps my nephew; every season he’s on at least one sports team and they go out on his fishing boat as often as possible too.

Having said that I’d love for my nephew to come spend a couple of weeks with me and Viv in the summer so I can turn him on to the art of software smile

Posted by BillSaysThis on 07/27/16 at 09:44 AM

Cueing him in to ‘neverending learning’ is always a good thing!

Posted by Garret P Vreeland on 07/27/16 at 10:06 AM

<< Previous entry: LA Times: Clinton might have more all-star wattage behind her than any nominee ever has.

Next entry: Discover Mag: Want to avoid malaria? Just wear a chicken. >>