Ghost in the Machine: Catching Up - Books.

Busy guy, Kevin. On my reading list(s). For The Past and Future City, did you look at the [what I call] Disneyfication of Santa Fe after 1912? They stripped the Victorian clapboards, the brick buildings, and stuccoed them over to look like Spanish Revival/Pueblo style. The past was forsaken for an older, faux past. Umberto Eco, Travels in Hyperreality, cubed.

06/01/16 • 01:04 PM • ArtsBooksPersonalTravelWeblogs • (6) Comments

Comments:

Always good to hear from Kevin. Too…

Posted by Hal B. Rager on 06/01/16 at 02:34 PM

Not covered in this book, but there’s a pretty good piece on Santa Fe in Giving Preservation a History, a solid collection of recent essays that you can read online. (I’d link the books.google link, but it keep getting caught in your akismet.)

Posted by KcM on 06/01/16 at 05:31 PM

You can always send it direct, garret at the obvious place.

Posted by Garret P Vreeland on 06/01/16 at 05:46 PM

Maybe it’ll prefer my work computer?

Posted by KcM on 06/02/16 at 06:16 AM

Ah, there we go.

Posted by KcM on 06/02/16 at 06:18 AM

It’s not a bad take, but some of the opinions expressed don’t represent what the living reality is. At the end of the article, they talk up Aldea - Aldea is way off west, in the middle of bloody nowhere. A pimple on the butt of Las Campanas, where two person families (elderly) live in 15,000 square foot homes. The ‘plaza’ of Aldea is a ghost town, three or four small businesses that change hands frequently. You have to drive to all amenities. In-town is better than Aldea.

Architects are dying to design ‘southwest contemporaries’. Only a couple do it successfully, and not consistently. One I visited on the Parade of Homes had a bathroom reminiscent of Auschwitz gas chambers (green tile, chrome fixtures, metal mesh overhead lighting and glass block). Such a huge misfire.

The current Mayor is increasing our youth outreach via social media, but the youth don’t have the $$ to afford all the expensive artworks that are sold by the galleries in town. So the galleries are starving as they’re receiving historically unprecedented amounts of foot traffic. Lots of young folk, no buyers. Santa Fe doesn’t run off $3 burritos and campers. We need the 45-65 affluent demographic to maintain its character. Some sit back lazily and say, well, Santa Fe will have to change. How many bike shops would they like to replace art galleries? We’re one of the three major art destinations in America. If we lose that, what are we? Great Adventure, adobe-version, mouldering away.

Not ranting at you, my friend - just ranting in general. To spend 10% of what they’re spending to encourage future visitation (and purchases of artworks once youth is affluent), is fine. They’re pushing our outdoor spaces, which is understandable, but some areas are so crowded you have to stand in line and shuffle along a hiking trail (tent rocks/kasha katuwe). Sold via video as ‘isolated’, it’s actually more like the line at a cafeteria. With rocks.

The irony is, I hear from bicoastals: “I don’t mind. I like being around people. Being by myself is scary. What if there are bears or something?”

Which makes me want to run off to Wyoming or Montana.

Posted by Garret P Vreeland on 06/02/16 at 03:48 PM

<< Previous entry: New Scientist: Study of 1 million sites shows just how closely we’re watched.

Next entry: SF New Mexican: Regulator warns of long, costly cleanup at Los Alamos lab. >>