Designer News: Anyone else finding that Adobe programs are becoming more slower to load?

Oh yeah. I need to stuff an SSD in the iMac or upgrade. Religiously keeping my main drive half empty (performance suffers if the disk is above 50% capacity).

09/12/16 • 09:41 AM • AdobeDesignInternetSoftware • (6) Comments

Comments:

I replaced my optical drive in my 2010 MacBook Pro with an ssd and it was an amazing upgrade.  Moved the system and user folders to the SSD and kept the original drive just for storage made an major difference for me.  I actually have symlinks for things like to documents and picture folders just to keep things simple.  Was a cost effective update while I wait out the upgrade cycle that seems to be stalled out.

Posted by Sam D on 09/12/16 at 11:44 AM

I’m about to hit the button on a Macbook Pro (15). In the face of SSD, how important is the processor speed, really?

Posted by Garret P Vreeland on 09/12/16 at 11:55 AM

[I know, stupid question. Esp. in the face of FCPX editing ..]

Posted by Garret P Vreeland on 09/12/16 at 11:55 AM

So most my work is in Xcode and lightroom these days and for me the advantage of the fast SSD was really dramatic.  I think the gain in my experience with helping people with laptop purchases that have workflows that push the machine CPU is that the faster CPU can actually get you a little more battery life since the machine isn’t maxed out all the time.  I still think that the the trade off of maxing the RAM at the expense of CPU is still the best way to go, most bang for the buck in my mind.  Especially since RAM is not as easy to upgrade later and saves you using an SSD for as much swapping which does tend to degrade the SSDs over time.

my 3ยข (inflation and all)

Sam D

Posted by Sam D on 09/12/16 at 12:01 PM

Thanks for that. Mucho helpful. I’ll be having to go to client locations and ‘co-editing’ video live with them.

Posted by Garret P Vreeland on 09/12/16 at 12:14 PM

In the Linux world here, but one “borderline” desktop and one older laptop both stepped up their performance with SSDs (boot/programs more so than files).

Posted by Dan B on 09/12/16 at 03:40 PM

<< Previous entry: Bill Moyers: We, the Plutocrats vs. We, the People.

Next entry: Guardian.UK: Ship found in Arctic 168 years after doomed Northwest Passage attempt. >>